Beine Wellness Building presents the next blog post for the athletes attending the competition in San Antonio, Texas. The meet is being held at the Bill Walker Pool.
Here are some tips and options for where you might eat and how to manage your nutrition in San Antonio:
- Shopping for Food: Before leaving home or after checking into your hotel, stock up on nutritious options, including snacks, vitamins, and hydration supplies.
- Sprouts Farmers Market – 8101 Callaghan Rd San Antonio, TX 78230
- Trader Joe’s 350 E Basse Rd. San Antonio, TX 78209
- Stretching Equipment: Pack rollers, massage guns, bands, and tennis balls for effective stretching and muscle recovery.
- Hydration: Consistently hydrate throughout the day, especially if you are not accustomed to the Texas climate. (https://www.amazon.com/shop/ericabeine) Nuun Electrolyte Drink, or Harmless Harvest Coconut Water.
- Sun Protection: Stay under the shade as much as possible and apply and reapply sunblock. Wearing sunglasses will also help protect your eyes from the sun. (https://www.amazon.com/shop/ericabeine)
- Meal Choices: Be mindful of your meal choices. Avoid heavy sauces, beans, corn, foods with excessive oil or added sugar, and soft drinks. Focus on proteins, fruits, vegetables, and whole grains.
- Fiber Intake: Be cautious with high-fiber foods like arugula, kale, and broccoli to avoid bloating, especially during a rested meet.
- Preferred Foods: Stick to your favorite nutritious options, such as avocados, chicken, pineapple, turkey, salmon, fish tacos, berries, carrots, asparagus, and PB&J sandwiches with no hydrogenated oils.
- Ordering Meals: Opt for ordering meals for pickup rather than ordering at the restaurant to save time and get more rest between sessions.
(13 Minutes from Pool) Seasons 52: https://www.yelp.com/biz/seasons-52-san-antonio – Seasons 52 offers many fresh and healthy food options for you. Here are some things to consider trying.
Grilled Chicken Caprese Sandwich
- This sandwich has mozzarella, roasted tomatoes, arugula, ciabatta roll, basil pesto, organic greens salad and white balsamic vinaigrette.
- Chicken provides a lean protein that is easily digestible to help fuel your body for your race. This sandwich is light and will help increase your recovery. Pesto helps decrease inflammation and the ciabatta roll is a great source of carbohydrates.
Sesame Grilled Salmon Salad
- This salad comes with organic greens, mango, jicama, lemongrass sauce, wood-grilled red peppers, toasted sesame dressing and salmon.
- Salmon is full of Omega 3’s that help decrease inflammation and is a great source of protein.
Rotisserie Half Chicken
- The rotisserie chicken comes with french green beans, roasted tomatoes, wild rice pilaf, and a grilled lemon-honey glaze.
- Chicken is a great source of lean protein to help your body recover after a tough day of racing and it is paired with fresh veggies as well as a carbohydrate which is perfect for the best fuel for your body.
(11 Minutes from Pool) Wild Barley Kitchen:
8403 Broadway: San Antonio, TX 78209
Bagels – Lox Bagel, Multigrain, Breakfast Sandwiches
(25 Minutes from Pool) Yard House : 849 E Commerce St Ste 409San Antonio, TX 78205 Downtown
House is a great American style restaurant with healthy options for athletes. Here are some great options to choose from if you end up at this restaurant.
Cilantro Lime Chicken
- This main dish comes with grilled chicken, roasted corn, radish, baby tomato relish. All great sources of vegetables, protein, and foods that improve digestion, decrease inflammation and will fuel you well for competition.
Fontina Vodka Penne
- This pasta entree is great to fuel a night before your race or after your swim. When you pair it will grilled chicken it is even better as you are getting a great source of lean protein as well as the carbohydrates in the pasta.
- This main dish comes with za’atar crusted salmon, warm cauliflower rice, red quinoa tabbouleh, kale, baby tomatoes, and spicy tahini sauce.
- Salmon is a great source of lean protein with omega 3’s to help decrease inflammation. It is paired with healthy vegetables and a great source of fiber as well as carbohydrates with the cauliflower rice and quinoa tabbouleh.
(13 minutes from pool) Chipotle: 190 W Bitters Rd San Antonio, TX 78216
At Chipotle, you can create a balanced and nutrient-dense meal by choosing the right ingredients. Here are some suggestions for a healthy and athlete-friendly meal at Chipotle:
- Base: Choose a bed of brown rice or lettuce as your base. Brown rice provides complex carbohydrates for sustained energy, while lettuce offers a lighter option if you prefer a lower-calorie meal.
- Double Your Protein: Opt for a lean protein source such as grilled chicken, steak, or sofritas (tofu). Protein is crucial for muscle repair and recovery after intense workouts.
- Light on the Beans (can cause GI distress): Add black or pinto beans for additional protein, fiber, and complex carbohydrates.
- Fajita Vegetables: Include fajita vegetables like bell peppers and onions to boost the nutrient content of your meal with vitamins and minerals.
- Salsa: Load up on fresh salsa options like pico de gallo, tomatillo green salsa, or corn salsa. These add flavor and essential nutrients without adding many calories.
- Guacamole: Guacamole provides healthy fats that are beneficial for energy and overall health. It also complements the meal with a creamy texture.
- Skip the Sour Cream and Cheese: To keep the meal healthier, consider skipping sour cream and cheese, as they add extra calories and saturated fat. The other ingredients already provide plenty of flavor and texture.
- Drink Water: Stay hydrated by opting for water or unsweetened beverages instead of sugary drinks.
(11 minutes from pool) CAVA: CAVA is another great option similar to chipotle, but Mediterranean style restaurant with customizable greens and grain bowls. It’s a must try because you can create your own bowl and it’s another quick option for after racing and wanting to recover after open water. I love it better than Chipotle!Build your own bowl
- Choose from a wide variety of Bases.
- Choose up to three dips and spreads.
- Double up on protein.
- Choose your favorite toppings and dressing.
Build your own Bowl Example
- Greens & Grains bowl a mix of grains and salad greens.
- Dips and Spreads: Hummus with chickpeas, tahini no, lemon, fresh garlic and salt
- Tzatziki with Greek yogurt, shredded cucumber and spice.
- Protein: Grilled Chicken with lemon, oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Toppings: Crumbled Feta, Pita Crisps, Shredded Romaine, Avocado.
(8 minutes from pool) Panera Bread
- Power Bowls: These bowls usually contain a good balance of protein, grains, and vegetables. Choose ones that include whole grains like quinoa or brown rice, lean proteins, and lots of veggies.
- You-Pick-Two with healthy combos: Select a combination of half a salad and half a sandwich, or half a salad and a cup of soup. This way, you can customize your meal with healthier options.
- Breakfast: Opt for steel-cut oatmeal with toppings like nuts, seeds, and fresh fruit. Avoid sugary pastries and breakfast sandwiches with bacon and sausage.
- Mediterranean Veggie Sandwich: A sandwich with zesty Peppadew piquant peppers, feta cheese, cucumbers, lettuce, onions, tomatoes, and a cilantro jalapeno hummus on whole-grain bread.
- Green Goddess Cobb Salad: A mix of fresh greens, chicken, bacon, eggs, avocado, tomatoes, and cucumbers with Green Goddess dressing.
- Modern Greek Salad with Quinoa: A mix of romaine, quinoa, tomatoes, cucumbers, kalamata olives, red onions, and feta cheese with Greek dressing.
- Low-fat or Reduced-fat soups: Panera occasionally offers low-fat or reduced-fat soups, which can be a good choice if available.
(6 minutes from pool) The Brown Bag Sandwich Shop
TAS – Turkey, Avocado, Sprouts on Wheat bread
Pre-Meet & During Meet Fuel:
OrangePack of Honey Stinger Chews
Handful of Grapes½
Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich
Hydrate: Water, Nuun Electrolyte Drink, or Harmless Harvest Coconut Water
***Note: Recovery food is very important post-race. Immediately after your last race of the session be sure to have a protein shake or bar with equal carbs and equal protein. Good options are: Lara Protein Bar, Primal Kitchen Protein Bar and RX Layers Bar. You can even pick up some protein shakes from the grocery store. Look for the brands Evolve and Core Power.